Catholic Central High School’s Homecoming, Prom & Semi-Formal Dress & Dance Code Rules
Catholic Central High School dances are events, which reflect the philosophy of our school and the teachings of the Catholic Church. Among our most important considerations is adherence to the Church teachings regarding modesty.
According the Catechism of the Catholic Church, “Purity requires modesty protects the intimate center of the person. It means refusing to unveil what should remain hidden. It is ordered to chastity to whose sensitivity it bears witness. Modesty is decency. It inspires one’s choice of clothing. It keeps silence or reserve where there is evident risk or unhealthy curiosity. It is discreet. Teaching modesty to children and adolescents means awakening in them respect for the human person.” In accordance with Catechism, Catholic Central High School sets forth the following dress and dance rules for our students and their dates.
- The neckline of the dress, top, or gown must be cut in a modest way without showing cleavage. Spaghetti straps or strapless dresses are allowed, as long as they are not low cut.
- The cut of a dress in the back and sides must not be cut below the navel.
- A dress, skirt, or gown must be longer than mid-thigh.
- Slits in a dress or skirt may be no higher than mid-thigh.
- Two-piece dresses are allowed if the space between the top and the skirt is less than two inches. No Navel is allowed to show.
- The top must not show any cleavage.
- The bodice of the dress must not have any fabric cutouts including cutouts that have been replaced with nude or sheer material.
- Dresses should not be excessively tight.
- Covering up dresses that do not meet the dress code with cover-ups (coats, shawls, sweaters) do not make an otherwise inappropriate dress allowable.
- Young men are expected to wear a collard dress shirt and dress pants. A matching suit or tuxedo is also appropriate.
- Young men are expected to keep their shirts on and buttoned for the entire dance.
- Young men are expected to be clean-shaven and meet school guidelines regarding length and style of hair.
Admittance to the Homecoming, Semi-Formal, and Prom, with consideration of attire, will be left to the discretion of the administration present that evening. Parents will be called to bring a change of clothes if the student is dresses inappropriately, otherwise the student will be asked to leave after the parent phone call. If students are unsure in their attire meets the dress-code, they may submit pictures prior to purchasing to the CCHS Main Office. These rules apply to dates from other schools as well.
- Appropriate physical contact only. Sexually suggestive dancing will not be tolerated.
- No straddling legs
- No grinding
- No inappropriate touching
- No overt and/or prolonged public displays of affection
- Both feet on the floor
- Hands on waists or shoulders only
If you have any questions, email:
Mr. Thomas J. Costello, Principal
Mrs. Jude Lucas, Assistant Principal